May 20-29, 2018 – XELA AID DISCOVERY
Theme: "Science and Service in Guatemala with Jewell College"
Orientation: February 24, 2018
Trip Leaders: Patrick Bunton
Trip Cost (Double/Triple Occupancy): $1629
1. May 20 – You will be met at the airport by our comfortable bus, and we will then travel to the magnificent colonial city of Antigua, founded in the 16th century. You will have an opportunity to explore jade and chocolate production, and if you’re up for a moderate hike, take in the views from Cerro de la Cruz high above the landscape! Explore ruins or shopping on your own, or relax on the lovely grounds of our hotel. Enjoy a delicious, traditional dinner which we’ll host at one of Antigua’s fine dining establishments!
2. May 21 – We will travel into the Guatemalan highlands, and to the beautiful city of Quetzaltenango (Xela) at 7500 where we will be housed in comfortable accommodations just off the historic Parque Central during our volunteer service (May 22-25). During our stay in Quetzaltenango, all breakfasts and lunches are included, and a group dinner will be arranged nightly and one of the local eateries (optional no-host).
3-6. May 22–25 – We will travel each day to the village of San Martín to undertake individual projects where your talents and interests have been matched to need. Experience the thrill of getting to know the youth and adults of this Mám-Maya village where the rich traditions of past are still practiced even as the young people work to become competitive in the job market so they can create a better life for their families. Each day promises surprises, and to be fulfilling work! Surprises await, too, several afternoons after our work days where we will explore the local culture.
7. May 26 – After breakfast and packing up, head for Lake Atitlan, one of the world’s most stunning destinations! Enjoy a scenic boat ride to reach our hotel, featuring chalets amidst a garden paradise. Lunch will be available at the hotel, featuring delicious, home-make everything. Kayak (included!), hike, rest, or take in the sights. During your stay at the lake, your nightly course-dinner is included.
8. May 27 - Lake Atitlan is the perfect place to get some exercise or relax—it’s up to you! You can kayak this morning, or join a group on one of two other included activities: Climb the San Pedro Volcano, or Zip a local wildlife preserve! Or instead, we’ll cover your fare to explore indigenous villages that dot the lake via the launch that picks passengers up on the half hour! No matter what you choose, your Atitlan visit will be sure to dazzle. Relax in a fire-heated hot tub that overlooks the Lake. On our last night we will celebrate with a special ceremony at dinner time.
9. May 28 – In the morning, pack up and catch our private launch back to the world-renowned marketplace Panajachel where you can relax and watch the world go by from the patio of a restaurant slurping down a smoothie or shop till you drop. After a leisurely lunch on your own, we’ll head for Guatemala City and our last hotel stop and fun evening before your return. Get ready for a pizza party that is sure to please!
10. May 29 – After a comfortable night in Guatemala City, take a short ride to the airport to begin your journey home. You’ll take with you memories and new friendships sure to last a lifetime!
|Event End Date||06-03-2018|
|Cut off date||03-25-2018|
|Cost (Dbl/Tpl Occu.)||$1629|
|Location||Xela AID Guatemala|